Monday, February 4, 2008

Riding in Rio Visa and eating Oysters on the half

Rio Vista is one of the oldest communities in Fort Lauderdale. The neighborhood has over 1,000 homes and is situated next to downtown Ft. Lauderdale. With the tree-lined streets, side walks and unique architecture, you soon realize the beauty and history of Rio Vista. We found this small serene street facing a canal and decided it would be a great place to stop and take some photos.

We especially liked this tree.



At one end of the canal there is a fountain in the middle, don't know if it shows up very well in this photo.

We continued on over to Cordova Street to the Southport Raw Bar, which is a neighborhood favorite with a lot of history of it's own. A place with lots of character, not to be missed. Check out their website, http://southportrawbar.com/


There is a deck out back for casual dining and watching the boats come in and out of the canal. This is our view from the deck.



We had the best oysters on the half shell for only $9.95 a dozen, that is a bargain here in this closely guarded secret spot. Guess it is no longer much of a secret. Right next door is a marina so there is always lots of boat traffic here. The canal goes out to the Intracoastal so the boats can take that out to sea.

A fun place to watch people and have great fresh seafood at the same time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

H&F,

Another excellent blog entry. I would love sitting on that deck eating and watching the boats come in. I think you just helped me decide where I'm spending our family vacation....Gulf Coast here we come!

irondad said...

I really enjoyed being lost in this post for a while. Nice respite from the pouring rain I'm riding in today. I just had a rather delayed epithany. I know you'll say "duh" when I tell you because that's exactly what I told myself.

I've only recently been regularly checking out your blog so I have a little bit of an excuse. It's worth the trip, by the way. Seeing the two scoots by the tree made me think of mustard and ketchup. Heinz Ketchup and French's Mustard! Thus the blog name?

Took me a while but I finally got there!

Heinz N Frenchie said...

Sarch, The Gulf Coast offers some great sun and sand too, but our heart belongs to South Florida. We spent some time on Pensacola Beach and just escaped a hurricane once.

Irondad, Happy that you arrived. Yes our names are a take off on mustard and ketchup. It was actually the sales guy at Vespa Fort Lauderdale that tagged them. He said that side by side, they looked like mustard and ketchup and we should call them Heinz and Frenchie. So that day in the very beginning of Nov 2007 they were christened Heinz and Frenchie. Of course we had to use mustard and ketchup instead of champagne. Viola our short history.